DIY - Over Bunk Fans
When it's very hot & humid at night it can be difficult to sleep. Next morning you feel exhausted and grumpy. Just moving the air around you is often enough to let you drift away provided the fan is not too loud.
We use 6” computer case fans (12v) mounted on home made swivel brackets over each bunk. Look for fans that are 18db or less as these are almost silent in operation.
They are very simple to make, here's how to do it:
You will need the following bits:
- An Ultra Quiet Computer Case fan such as the 6" Alaska from Maplins
- about 500mm of aluminium bar20mm by 2 or 3mm
- an in-line switch
- a length of 2-core 12v wire
- 2- 5mm pan-head machine screws each about 25mm long
- 1 - 20mm x 5mm pan-head wood screw and washer
- Electric Drill with 3, 4 & 5mm drill bits and a countersink bit
- 5mm Tap with Tap Holder