ESSENTIAL KIT - Windlass
Vertical or horizontal is a matter of preference and may be limited by what will fit in the available space. The windlass is possible your second most important item after the bower anchor.
The important factors are:
- Powerful enough to lift the anchor and at least 40m of chain straight up. Many East Med anchorages are deep.
- Dual-Control from the Bow and the Helm position so you can launch and recover single handed if necessary.
- Fitted with a rope drum as well as a chain pawl,
- Has a manual option if the power fails
- Ideally powered from its own battery bank. Ensure the charging capacity is sufficient.
- A good clear chain drop into the chain locker so it doesn't foul when lifting anchor.
- Make a waterproof cover for winter to keep rain and sand out of the gearing
Make sure you know how to strip the windlass to clean the gearing and re-grease the bearings. Keep a set of seals and a litre of gear oil on board together with a mechanism for adding oil while the boat is pitching. I use a thin tube attached to a small funnel to feed into the oil filler hole that is delightfully obscured by the hatch frame.